Thursday, April 28, 2011

Desktop computers

Desktop Computers

The History of Desktop computers being produced at amass scale dates back to around the late 70s of the 20th century


Desktop Computers: Desktop PCs - Best Buy
Find the desktop computers that are right for you. With desktop PCs designed for better gaming, entertainment and more, at BestBuy.com you'll find the right. These are generally very suitable  to set permanently somewhere you like most.


Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops?

How about performance. Notebook computers have always lagged in that area. Desktop computers have more transistors = more heat = faster performance.  It isn't practical for laptops to use the advanced processors, video cards and ram that are used in desktops because 1. battery technology is just not up to task, and 2. there is not enough air flow in a laptop to dissipate the heat generated from additional transistors . In other words, laptops are hindered in their performance by the need for portability. Also I have a 22" monitor with my desktop, and I can go as large as I want. Anything above 15" looks silly with a laptop.

Of course, you won't value the performance difference unless you are a computer enthusiast i.e. a gamer/power user. Hence most people would prefer a laptop.I do value the difference, and only use the laptop when I don't have access to a more powerful desktop.

Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops?

Okay, the desktop has all those advantages. But the major advantage a laptop has is the mobility factor. I saw someone mention monitor, mouse, etc. common people! we are talking about a laptop here. You cannot even compare them, considering the mobility advantage of a laptop. I am surfing the net using my laptop on my train ride (just like about 30% of the others on the train) in and out of downtown Chicago. On my last cruise, I was sending pictures I took as soon as we got on the ship from the balcony of my cabin as we to the western Caribbean, on the plane, at airports, I fire up the laptop and I am surfing, listening to music, watching a movie. Heck! On my last trip to Lagos last October, I was able to burn all the pics we took on to CDs and give them to family members immediately we took the pics. On way out I fired up the laptop and picked up a free wi-fi connection at the Murtala Muhammad  airport, so I kept myself busy for the hour and half wait for my flight, I can go on and on.

The laptops of today are very powerful so the difference in power between a laptop and desktop is decreasing.  If you look at it the other way around, I would say a laptop has more advantages over a desktop. At leasts in my humble opinion.

Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops?

SMH @ "more heat = faster performance"! And what has keyboard, mouse, and monitor got to do? You can easily get your desired ones and plug them into your laptop just like you do your desktop. Battery life is a dodgy claim as well. My laptop runs easily for 3-4hrs on battery and I've watched two full length DVDs back-to-back on battery.

The legitimate advantages of a desktop have already been stated: cheaper, easier to upgrade or replace components, and less appealing to a thief! But that's price for portability and mobility. The only area desktop owns laptop is advance gaming and other processor intensive applications! Any else and certainly for the average PC user(i.e 90%+ PC users!) the laptop can do as desktop.

Things are even getting better with laptops: I read that battery capable of running for 8hrs could soon be in the market, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo and similar porcessors from AMD are already finding their ways into new ranges of laptop, and wireless networking is becoming the standard so laptops are becoming more popular than ever before. Laptops have been outselling desktops over the last 2-3 years as performace gap between closes up to insignifance.

No comments:

Post a Comment